Friday, May 29, 2009

Upcycled (catalogue/cereal box) box

I was inspired by this box I saw on craftstylish. I wanted to make it out of items from around the house that would otherwise just get recycled. My bottom is slightly different and I used an origami box for the top.

You could also make it paper bags or any paper instead of catalogue paper and draw designs on. I was thinking of making one out of my son’s artwork, but I am afraid he will think I ruined it, so I think he would have to be consulted first.

Materials:
Catalogue – I used Anthropologie – always inspiring
Empty food box
Scissors
Glue stick

Directions:
Cut 4 – 2”x3” rectangles, 1- 2” square, 1 – 2 ¼” square from empty cardboard food box
Cut 1 – 6 1/2” square and 1 – 8 1/8” square from catalogue pages

Bottom:
Fold each side of 8 1/8” square at 3” from edge
Glue 2” square in center, line up with folds
Glue 2x3 centered in folds, lined up with edge of paper – should be small gap from 2” square.
Cut corners from fold to fold of 8 1/8” square
Fold triangle in half
Now have bottom of box

Top:
Start with 6 ½” square
Fold corners to meet at center
Fold new sides to meet at center
Open fold other sides
Open sides
Open two opposite corners
Fold sides again
Fold over flaps to meet at center
Insert 2 ¼” square
Now you have top















No comments: