Monday, November 17, 2008

Fresh Sprouts

My son will only eat veggies he has picked from the garden. He won’t even eat veggies from the farmer’s market. I think he really enjoys watching his food grow and then harvesting it.
So as the winter comes closer and the garden is sparse, I worry. I wonder how I will get him through the winter.
Then I bought him some new underwear. Underwear is something I have to buy new, but only after he held up his favorite pair and counted “1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 … holes”. Then I realized it had been 2 years since I last got him new underwear. They must have grown with him.
The underwear came in this beautiful plastic clamshell.

Voila, inspiration for growing winter vegetables.

Materials:
2-3 tsp sprouting seeds – I used red clover because I had 5 lbs. leftover from last winter’s cover crop.
1 clear plastic clamshell
Water
Fine mesh sieve – I used one made for tea leaves.
Paper towel

Directions:
Place seeds in fine mesh sieve
Rinse until water runs clear
Cover bottom of clamshell with paper towel
Place seeds in shell
Be sure paper towel is damp but not soaked
Close clamshell
Place on window sill
If you have nice sills (I don’t) place a towel or plate under to protect
Wait 3-10 days to sprout
Enjoy fresh homegrown sprouts
Note: to have fresh sprouts all the time, wait a week and plant new clamshell. Then you can alternate and have a set growing while you are eating and then replant that one…

No comments: