Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Dough ornaments

To go along with the new tree, my son and I made dough ornaments. It was a first time for me. So I decided to make play dough and bake it a very long time.

Materials:
1 cup salt
2 cups flour
1 cup boiling water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Parchment paper (keeps bottoms from burning)
Cookie sheets
Oven
Paint – water based is fine
ribbon
Ornament hooks

Directions:
Place dry ingredients in a bowl
Add water and oil
Stir until blended
Knead until smooth
Form ornaments
Place on parchment paper on cookie sheet
Bake at 250 degrees until hard (1-2 hours depending on thickness)
Let cool
Paint or otherwise decorate
Tie with ribbon or glue ornament hooks if desired (I made candy canes so they don’t need hooks)
Let dry
Hang on tree

Will keep in dry place year after year

No comments: