Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Ornament party

I got to participate in an ornament making party at my sister’s house this weekend.
It was a lot of fun with 3 – 2 ½ year olds and my 6 year old. We made dough ornaments only we decided to pre-color the dough with food dye to cut out a step for the young ones. The finished color isn’t as vibrant. The favorite tool was a garlic press to make “hair”.
The other ornament we made was a glass ball hand prints.
I made these with my son a few years ago and it is fun to see them year after year. Although his favorite color is red and there is some “bloody handprint” aspect to them, so I suggest a different color.


Glass ball hand print

Materials:
Craft glass ball ornaments (I found mine at a craft store 4 balls for $2.50)
Tempura water based paint (we used a jell finger paint for the party)
Paintbrush
Ribbons (4 12” pieces)

Directions:
String ribbon through ornament metal wire and knot
Brush paint on child’s hand
Gently place hand onto ornament
Gently remove hand from ornament
Hand ornament to dry
Wash hand
If using small hands, can repeat with other hand on same ball
If doing multiple young children at once, have large pot of warm water nearby to rinse hands.

No comments: