Thursday, January 20, 2011

Potato Prints

I must say, I was a little disappointed with this one. I spent a week planning/designing these prints and 2 hours carving them. But then I decided to use a new paint (formulated for silk screening but the label said could be used for printing) because the Scribbles that I usually use gets all hard and scratchy. I also carved the potatoes the day before the class and stored them in lemon water over night since I didn't have time to carve them just before the class. The potatoes cupped overnight so it was very difficult to print with them and it had not occurred to be to bring a large carving knife to school with me. So I couldn't fix them.

I am really happy with the stamp designs. They are mix and match animals. The children tried to play with them, but the stamps were so hard to use we all ended up frustrated. So much for my big WOW first project of the quarter.
I think I will try to fix the prints today and stamp up some cards or something before the potatoes go in the compost heap. oh well. At least I am happy with the designs. I may enlarge them and make mix and match iron-ons or something.

No comments: