Sunday, February 21, 2010

Strawberry Tower

My husband has been talking about a strawberry tower that he saw in a catalogue. He didn't save the catalogue to show me the tower, but he has been talking about making one himself. Today the sun was out, our daughter was napping and I decided to have a go at it. I used a rusty old tomato cage, a planter from my college days (aka really old) some landscape fabric, ten strawberry plants and a lot of dirt.
I curled the pointy ends of the cage under, rolled the fabric and placed it in the cage. Then my son and I started filling, and filling, and filling it with dirt. Then I punctured the fabric and fed the plants through. Next time I will secure the fabric to the cage (maybe use black fabric - this was the fabric we had in the garage) and thread the plants through before I fill with dirt. Was really messy this way.
It is a lot fugly now, but I think it will be luscious when it grows in.



No comments: